Monday, October 10, 2011

Jake and I

I was thinking about all the different characters in The Sun Also Rises, and I think I relate the most to Jake.  Personality wise, I almost understand where he's coming from; I sometimes act the same way he does, albeit for different reasons. The weird thing is, I am also very opposite from Jake as well. Jake is quiet, he listens a lot, and he is more of an observer than a participator. I am quiet, I listen a lot, I do not talk much about myself, and I often prefer to watch and try and understand than jump right in. However, Jake tries to be detached as much as he can, he drinks (although less than everyone else), he is insecure about who he is, and likes bull-fighting. I don't enjoy the idea of bull-fights, or what it represents: living in the moment, with a life or death situation, away from the world. I am very attached to people (although I may not act like it); I love my family, my friends, everyone, and the world. I really do. Each and every person, every living thing. I'm giving them all a hug in my mind right now. Jake tries to lose himself in society, to work and distract himself from others and himself. I instead like to sit and think about a lot of things, and take a break from what seems to me the mindlessness of work that I sometimes adopt when doing homework.

Of course, in looking at a novel the similarities and differences between the characters and I are not that relevant. It speaks a little bit as to the timelessness of novels and themes, and how they may apply today, but thinking about Jake's character has started me thinking about his relationship to all the other characters as well. After reading The Sun Also Rises, I thought that the novel was one of relationships. I felt it was kind of documenting all these relationships that Jake had. There were long ones, for instance Cohn and Brett, but there was also close ones like Bill and random ones like the person who gave him some fishing bait, or the Basque of whom he shared wine with. Hemingway introduces so many characters to the reader, but to what end?

Each one of the characters foil each other, but they also show the diversity of the generation, to cover the whole "lost generation" bit. People he meets only briefly are just a window into thousands of lives, and each one deals with and is affected by the war differently. And it is not only the war that affects people: Cohn's school and marriage experience has made him way too attached to people, Brett's lost love experience has made her free with her emotions, Jake is detached, etc. One did not have to be in the war to be a part of the lost generation.

The lost generation may be lost, but they hang together in their isolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment