Friday, February 25, 2011

My Approach to Writing an Essay

Steps to Writing an Essay (my style):

Step 1: Read the novel [at least] three times
  1. The first time to get the gist of the plot and just an overall view of what the novel is about.
  2. The second time to really start annotating on what I see and notice, and any recurring themes, motifs, etc.
  3. The third time to mark and note the novel for those literary elements I noticed before, and to jot down any connections between them, and just really to put down everything I think and see. Because I know what to look out for, I can connect ideas quite well.
 Step 2: Make a list of anything I find interesting and would like to write an essay about
  1. This is not limited to a certain type of essay: it can consist of motifs, themes, relationships, "big ideas", anything at all.
  2. Then, I cross off things that I find less interesting, not as important in the novel, or things that there don't have much evidence or meaning.
  3. Then, see any connections between any of the remaining ideas to see if there is an overall theme I would like to talk about, and decide on a topic.
  4. From my topic, I look at the importance of it (does it connect to any big ideas, why it is there, what is it's importance, etc.)
  5. I also look at the assignment to be sure that the topic fits in with what I'm supposed to do.
Step 3: Search the novel for where the topic exists
  1. I mark anywhere that mentions my topic (sort of making a mental list as well) and then pick out the quotes and things that especially connect to the topic and its meaning.
  2. From the good quotes, I take them (as well as the surrounding text for the context) and annotate them more, looking especially for literary techniques.
  3. Now I have a good idea of what to say about the topic, with a variety of ideas and representations.
Step 4: Write a mini-outline
  1. This is just to sort out my thoughts. I put the larger umbrella ideas as headers, with bullet points of quotes, connections, and any thoughts I have on the subjects.
  2. This also helps me sort out what I need and what I have- do I need more quotes or evidence from the novel for certain ideas? Do I need to analyze different parts more? What do I need to do?
Step 5: Look around
  1. I look online and just explore a bit what other people have to say on my subject.
  2. I search for alternating views, opposing thoughts, and ideas that parallel mine (if any).
  3. This also means that I could talk it over with a couple of fellow students to see what they think as well. Just bouncing ideas of others.
Step 6: Make an outline
  1. I can now return to my mini-outline, and change it. Now that I have all the facts and things I want to say, I organize them.
  2. What is my main point? I begin to create a thesis statement- not worded properly, but with all of the ideas that I want to include.
  3. I create subtopics: the "big umbrella ideas" I made before, but organized and clear.
  4. All of the quotes, my analysis of them, and ideas are included. I also see if there are any connections between the body paragraphs to see if there is any way to nicely transition them.
  5. From this I go back to my thesis statement and ensure that my ideas support the statement. I also sort of make topic sentences- although they're more of topic ideas, so I know how to start each paragraph.
Step 7: The Thesis Statement
  1. Although I have the idea of the thesis statement, now I can reform it and enhance it. I just go over it several times and make sure it is about as good as it can be.
  2. Also, if possible, I talk it over with someone to be sure about it.
Step 8: Start writing
  1. From my outline I just start writing- and not in any specific order. I can start at the introduction or a body paragraph. And it usually isn't perfect. I just take the bullet points from the outline and make them into sentences.
  2. Sometimes here I add a small idea or analyze a quote a little more. As long as I keep writing. Often times a paragraph is split, where I just write for the different quotes and little ideas, so I can connect it all together later.
  3. At this stage, my writing does not flow together as well as it should (or will later on). However, it has the ideas and all the things I want to say.
  4. I usually don't write the conclusion or all of the introduction during this stage- since that mostly restating the bulk of my essay.
Step 9: Putting it all together
  1. Now that all of my ideas and stuff is written down, I read it all over.
  2. Then, in the same style of not paying attention to the fluency or word choice, I finish up my introduction and put together a conclusion.
  3. Then, I look at each paragraph individually (usually starting with the body paragraphs and ending with the conclusion) and put it together. I make the connections between the ideas within each paragraph, I reword things, and overall just make sure things are clear.
  4. In the introduction and conclusion, I make sure that the overall ideas are there and that I didn't leave anything out.
  5. Oh yes, and create an interesting title. Which is hard, sometimes.
Step 10: Making it sound good
  1. Although the paragraphs are written, I now reread it again (and even several times) to make it sound good. That is, taking out all of the words that sound inappropriate, making sure the ideas are clear, and just fixing anything I notice in the essay.
  2. Now the Rough Draft is finished!
Step 11: Taking a break
  1. I step back from the essay and let it sit for a while. Then later on I can come back with a fresh mind. I have to forget what I wrote so I can make sure everything fits together nicely and actually makes sense. Plus, it is just good to take a break. It's important.
Step 12: Getting reacquainted
  1. I read the essay over once or twice just to remind myself of what I was talking about. Also, I take advantage of my memory loss to mark anything that doesn't make sense. I also mark any mistakes that I happen to spot (although I don't specifically look for them).
Step 13: Revising the Ideas
  1. I can now look at the ideas and the analysis and everything else I wrote. I fix things, I rewrite things, and look at the placement of everything. Also, I look at what should be further expanded, and perhaps what is irrelevant. It is basically a general revise.
Step 14: Wording and Word Choice
  1. Now I look at the words I used and the sentences I used and just think of better ways to say it or more suitable words.
  2. I read it through and mark what sounds weird or is not quite accurate. Then I go back and change it.
Step 15: Editing the errors
  1. Although if I had happened to come across an error, in grammar, spelling, or anything else, I fixed it, now is the time to really look for them, especially ones that the spell check doesn't come across. Just the technical stuff.
Step 16: Peer Review
  1. If it is at all possible, I have someone, or even several someones, look at it and review it. Different people notice different things, and any help is much appreciated.
Step 17: Viewing the Review
  1. I look at what other people have said. Do I agree?
  2. Usually, I do. I then change what they suggested.
  3. Then I read it over and just kind of think about it, seeing if I see any things that I want to change.
Step 18: The final review
  1. I just pile all of those previous reviews into one: I read it over and over again and mark and highlight anything that I feel is weaker than the rest of the essay, what doesn't sound quite right, and anything else that I feel needs fixing.
  2. Sometimes I don't know what is wrong with it, or how to fix it- I just know that it doesn't quite fit: I mark it anyways.
  3. Then I fix them. And I reread. And I fix. And again. Until I feel ready and confident that it is what I want it to be.
  4. I also look at the presentation: does it have a title, name, date, etc.
Step 19: Panicking
  1. I sort of just panic about whether I have everything and the essay is ready to turn in. I just worry a lot. This stage usually doesn't last very long: usually lasting from the moment I decide to turn it in to the moment I actually do turn it in.
Step 20: Turning it in
  1. I turn it in.

5 comments:

  1. Adrienne, I absolutely love this! This plan is very organized and I think I may follow it when I write an essay because I agree with many of your ideas and the order of your steps! Although I do prefer to use a mindmap to branch out many ideas that I could ponder on to use in my essay. I find a mindmap very useful because you can just put whatever your thinking onto that and continue to expand your ideas.

    Kudos to you for just writing an outline in whatever order you want! I think I may do that next time because unfortunately I am a perfectionist and I follow a certain order when writing an essay. I write an introduction, then go crazy over my first body paragraph until its perfect then I do the same for my remaining paragraphs.

    I will definately use your plan next time I write an essay. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this plan, though I'm not so sure it needs to be so in depth. For example, I'm not sure if you need to read it 3 times, maybe the 3rd time just skim it or something. I mean, really i have no complaints, i just dont think that i personally would get around to doing all the stuff that you have in your plan.
    Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrienne, this plan is well organized, but I wonder if it could be condensed-for example you have the mini outline and the outline. I also wonder if you could search the novel for topic during your third read. Overall, you've covered the process exceedingly well. ~Ms. M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adrienne
    On your step 4, when you are writing a mini outline, I think you can try to be more specific, if you can at that point, to save some work for later when you are writing your actual outline. I like your step 5, “Look Around”, I know it is sometimes fun to research about topic that is interesting to you, but I think you should limit and know when it is enough because it can, essentially, go on forever. Your steps will lead to a really good paper. They are very specific and well planned. I also agree with you on reviewing it many times and peer review, if time allows. I also think that letting it sit for couple of days and coming back to it with a fresh mind. I think that’s kind of like reading a novel, every time you read a novel, you see new things. And don’t panic! I am pretty sure if you follow all of your steps, you’ll have a good paper =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrienne I personally really like your essay plan. It is very thorough and complete. There are some steps that are quite similar to mine, but I might adapt the way you approach your essays from now on, because I find it very organized and easy to follow and stay focused.
    I agree with you regarding the two outlines. Although as Julie said it might save time to just do a really thorough outline, I think that outlines are one of the most useful tools when writing an essay.
    And yes, writing an essay in whatever order is an excellent idea, you'll come back to it later anyways.
    Do you have any other suggestions regarding the Thesis Statement?
    I am really impressed by your plan, I find it excellent.

    ReplyDelete